Also known as pocket pie or mini pie, the empanada is a popular Filipino dish. It’s sold at the streets, mall stands, and even restaurants. This classic recipe for chicken empanada will help you make this all-time favorite.
Contrary to popular belief, the Filipino chicken empanada recipe is actually easy to follow. The tasty chicken filling is first placed in a crust. Then, the crust is closed, folded, and cooked. Sounds easy, right?
Given its taste and simplicity, the chicken empanada is not going anywhere. It’s definitely here to stay.
Follow this classic Filipino chicken empanada recipe to make your own homemade empanadas. Or if you’re up for it, you can cook these empanadas and sell them to your family and friends. Either way, these chicken empanadas will give you memories you’ll cherish.
If you want some variation, simply replace the chicken filling with any kind you want. Just make sure you put in the right proportion of ingredients. You don’t want the filling to overpower everything else.
Filipino Chicken Empanada Recipe
Chicken Empanada Recipe
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp. HICREAM Creaming Fat Shortening
- 6 tsp. White Sugar
- 1 tsp. Iodized Salt
- ½ cup Cold Water
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1 tsp. Vinegar
Chicken Filling for our Empanada
- 350 g Chicken Meat Diced
- 200 g Potatoes
- 50 g Onions Chopped
- 25 g Garlic Minced
- Salt To taste
- White Sugar To taste
- Black Pepper To taste
- 75 g HICAPS Buttercream Ref Margarine
- 30 g Cornstarch
- Heat Hicaps Buttercream – ref margarine and sauté garlic and onions until transparent.25 g Garlic, 75 g HICAPS Buttercream Ref Margarine, 50 g Onions
- Add in chicken and potatoes, season, add water, starch, and cook until mixture holds.½ cup Cold Water, 350 g Chicken Meat, 200 g Potatoes, White Sugar, Black Pepper, 30 g Cornstarch, Salt
- In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.½ cup Cold Water, 1 Egg White, 1 Whole Egg, 1 tsp. Vinegar
- In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour, sugar, and salt.3 cups All-Purpose Flour, 1 tsp. Iodized Salt, 6 tsp. White Sugar
- Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives.3 tbsp. HICREAM Creaming Fat
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and dough is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
- Prepare the work surface by lightly flouring the area where you plan to roll out the dough.
- Fill the crust dough with the chicken filling
- Deep fry until Empanada until golden brown.
- For best quality output, fry the empanada using Crispfry (Premium Frying Fat). Crispfry will improve the crispiness and lessens the oil that is absorbed by the product while maintaining the good mouthfeel and aftertaste of the food.CrispFry Frying Fat
Check Out Other Delicious Recipes
Try Some of Our Best Chicken Recipes
Over the years, HICAPS has helped bakers and businesses make delicious products by offering ingredients like chiffon oil, Magic Whizk Whipping Cream, Red Velvet Emulco, and Royal Victoria Cream Cheese.
HICAPS also provides tools and resources to valued partners such as the free “How to Increase Your Sales Amidst the Pandemic” E-book and free dealer locator that helps look for baking ingredients near me.