Colorful and mouthwatering gelatin desserts are so hard to resist. These wobbly, jiggly treats are the epitome of fun, so we released this easy gelatin dessert recipe that’ll make you want more.
Gelatin desserts are a delightful addition to any gathering― from birthday parties to potlucks. If you want an easy and delicious recipe that will please a crowd, look no further. With simple ingredients, this gelatin dessert recipe will bring joy to your taste buds and color to your table. So, grab your kitchen tools and start wobbling your way to the colorful gelatin world.
Why People Love This Gelatin Dessert
People can’t get enough of gelatin desserts, and it’s clear why. These tantalizing treats capture the hearts of dessert lovers thanks to their unique, jiggly texture. We mean, who doesn’t love that wobbly treat that dances and melts in the mouth?
And if you think the fun stops there, it doesn’t. Gelatin desserts are so easy to prepare. They usually call for a few ingredients and minimal effort. With a bit of boiling, stirring, and chilling, you can quickly make a dessert everyone will love you for.
People also love gelatin desserts because of their versatility. You can customize them with different flavors, colors, and ingredients. This versatility makes them a great choice for any occasion. In addition, their flexibility makes way for endless creativity.
Aside from that, gelatin desserts have great colors, which you can match to your party’s theme. This adds to their charm, making them a popular choice for kids.
Additionally, unlike heavier desserts, gelatin treats have lots of water and air, making them a nice choice for those who want something light after a meal. They also give a refreshing burst of flavor that cleanses your palate.
Easy Gelatin Dessert Cooking Tips
Create the perfect gelatin dessert with these helpful cooking tips in mind. Follow these tips and you’ll be on your way to gelatin success.
1. Dissolve the gelatin in cold water.
Get a smooth texture by dissolving the gelatin powder in a small amount of cold water or milk before adding hot water. This process, also known as blooming, prevents clumps and guarantees an even consistency.
2. Add flavorings.
Consider adding fruit juice, purees, or extracts to enhance the flavor of your gelatin dessert. However, be careful when using fresh fruits since some contain enzymes that can break down the gelatin and prevent it from setting. These fruits include pineapple, kiwi, and papaya. On the other hand, you can use canned or cooked versions of these fruits.
3. Layer colors and flavors.
Create layers by chilling one color or flavor of gelatin until slightly set before adding the next. Doing so produces a more visually appealing dessert. Let each layer firm up before adding another to avoid colors bleeding into each other.
4. You can speed up the chilling process.
Place the treat in a shallow dish, baking pan, or mold. Use ice-cold water instead of room-temperature water. Doing so expedites the setting of your gelatin dessert. However, keep in mind that setting times will vary depending on the size and shape of your mold. So, you must regularly check for firmness.
5. Unmold the dessert gently.
Briefly dip the base in warm (not hot) water for a few seconds. Next, put a serving plate on top and invert the mold. The dessert should slide out smoothly. If it doesn’t, try dipping the mold in warm water for a few more seconds. Then, gently shake it to loosen the dessert.
How to Serve a Gelatin Dessert
Serving a gelatin dessert is all about presentation.
First, choose a beautiful dish or mold. Make sure the treat is firmly set before serving. Next, dip the base in warm water and gently invert it onto a serving plate to take it out of the mold.
Take the presentation to the next level with garnishes like fresh fruit, whipped cream, or mint leaves. You can also drizzle it with a fruit coulis or melted chocolate. Next, carefully cut the dessert into portions. Hand out dessert forks or spoons for guests to enjoy.
By focusing on visual appeal and taste, your gelatin dessert will be a delightful treat for both the eyes and the palate.
How to Store a Gelatin Dessert
Proper storage preserves the freshness and quality of your gelatin dessert.
To store a gelatin dessert, make sure it is set completely. Then, cover the dish or mold with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This prevents the gelatin from absorbing odors or flavors from other food in the fridge.
Then, put the container in the refrigerator, ideally in a spot with a consistent temperature. Remember, temperature fluctuations can affect its texture. Generally, gelatin desserts can be stored safely in the refrigerator for three to five days.
If you want to store individual servings, place them in airtight containers before refrigerating. This method protects the dessert from potential odors and helps maintain its moisture and freshness.
Gelatin Dessert Recipe
Easy Gelatin Dessert Recipe
- 1 box (3.5 oz) gelatin powder unflavored
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar granulated
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup canned fruit cocktail drained
- 1/2 cup canned lychees drained and sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk unsweetened (optional)
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks drained
- 1/4 cup canned sweet corn drained
- Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin powder over the cold water in a mixing bowl. Let the gelatin bloom for about five minutes.1 box (3.5 oz) gelatin powder, 1 1/2 cups cold water
- Next, pour in boiling water and stir until the gelatin powder completely dissolves. Add in the granulated sugar and stir until it dissolves.1 1/2 cups boiling water, 1/2 cup sugar
- Next, let the gelatin mixture cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally to prevent a film from forming on the surface.
- After the gelatin mixture has cooled, gently fold in the fruit cocktail, lychees, pineapple chunks, and sweet corn. If you want, you can add unsweetened coconut milk for more creaminess and an authentic Filipino flavor.1 cup canned fruit cocktail, 1/2 cup canned lychees, 1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks, 1/4 cup canned sweet corn, 1 cup coconut milk
- Pour the gelatin mixture into a 9×13-inch glass dish or your preferred mold. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three to four hours or until the gelatin is firmly set.
- Cut the gelatin dessert into squares or unmold it onto a serving plate. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours (including chilling time)
1 box (3.5 oz) unflavored gelatin powder
1 1/2 cups cold water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup canned fruit cocktail, drained
1/2 cup canned lychees, drained and sliced
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (optional)
1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
1/4 cup canned sweet corn, drained
1. Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin powder over the cold water in a mixing bowl. Let the gelatin bloom for about five minutes.
2. Next, pour in boiling water and stir until the gelatin powder completely dissolves. Add in the granulated sugar and stir until it dissolves.
3. Next, let the gelatin mixture cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally to prevent a film from forming on the surface.
4. After the gelatin mixture has cooled, gently fold in the fruit cocktail, lychees, pineapple chunks, and sweet corn. If you want, you can add unsweetened coconut milk for more creaminess and an authentic Filipino flavor.
5. Pour the gelatin mixture into a 9×13-inch glass dish or your preferred mold. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three to four hours or until the gelatin is firmly set.
6. Cut the gelatin dessert into squares or unmold it onto a serving plate. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Desserts that use gelatin include puddings, gummies, fruit gelatin desserts, frozen yogurt, ice cream, panna cotta, and marshmallows. Gelatin can also be mixed with liquids or semi-solid substances for better structure and form.
Panna cotta is a dessert made from milk and gelatin.
You can use gelatin for stock, soups, sauces, gummies, marshmallows, cosmetics, and medications.
This easy Filipino-inspired gelatin dessert recipe shows the versatility and playfulness of gelatin. With its vibrant colors, a unique combination of fruits, and coconut milk for extra creaminess, this dessert will please the crowd. So go ahead, get your ingredients, and whip up this wobbly dessert that’ll bring joy to anyone who eats it.
Over the years, HICAPS has helped bakers and businesses make delicious products by offering ingredients like ChiffonAide Cake Oil, Magic Whizk Whipping Cream, Red Velvet Flavor Emulco, and Instabake Brownie Mix.
HICAPS also provides tools and resources to valued partners, such as the free “How to Increase Your Sales Amidst the Pandemic” E-book and free dealer locator that helps look for baking ingredients near me.
Want more free tips and tutorials? Follow us on Facebook at Hicaps Mktg. Corp. and on YouTube at HicapsTV. Want to be one of our valued partners? Fill this form out. Looking forward to talking to you soon!